Sunday, November 21, 2010

I poached an egg!!!

Believe it or not, I have never poached an egg.  I know, right?  Well, today I did it. 
I had dinner with a friend at Marlowe the other night and had this amazing, decadent, rich like woah polenta dish.  It was intense - I could only eat half.  So today I figured I'd poach a couple of eggs, dump them on top and eat it like my name is Michael Dickerson.  It was perfection.  Rich like woah, decadent perfection.  But I just LOVE the combination of egg, truffle oil, parmesan and earthy something - either mushrooms or asparagus.  It is the best, and perfect for an ucky, rainy fall morning.
I can't take full credit, since you know, I only poached the eggs, but I bet I can make something similar.  I don't really like polenta though, so go figure.

For my eggs, I filled a small saucepan maybe 2/3 full of water, added 1 to 1 1/2 tbsp of white vinegar and maybe a teaspoon of salt and brought the water to a boil.  I cracked my eggs in a small bowl and gently eased them into the water.  I let them boil for a few minutes - 2?  3? til they looked set.  Voila!  Perfection.

You can go ahead and nestle your eggs into a bowl of soft polenta, just make a little nest for it in the middle.  The yolk all mixed into the polenta is divine.  Sautee up some wild mushrooms, Place them all around the outside, and sprinkle with arugula and some shaved Parmesan, then drizzle truffle oil all over.  Or maybe mix it into the polenta?    Eat a small portion, seriously.

1 comment: