Thursday, November 4, 2010

Cult Classics via Poor Taste

With all the travel I do for work, I should be able to work my way through this list from Poor Taste Magazine . . . plenty are even in my own back yard (some I've even been to!), and others I keep meaning to go to but never quite make it (I'm looking at you Hot Doug's. . . ).  I have a new goal, and goals are good.
* thanks to the folks at Poor Taste for not forming a pitchforked mob for my shoddy cut and paste without proper copyrighting job *
100. Chino Bandido (Phoenix, AZ) 
99. Soowon Galbi Korean BBQ (Los Angeles, CA) 
98. Congee Village (New York, NY)
97. S’Mac (New York, NY)

96. Georgetown Cupcake (Washington, D.C.)
95. El Pinto (Albuquerque, NM)
94. Tango Sur (Chicago, IL)
93. Slows Bar-B-Q (Detroit, MI)
92. Fat Matt’s Rib Shack (Atlanta, GA) 
91.  Bunk Sandwiches (Portland, OR)
90.  Mi Nidito (Tucson, AZ)
89. Hillbilly Hot Dogs (LeSage, WV) 
88. Jestine’s Kitchen (Charleston, SC) 
87. The American Grilled Cheese Kitchen (San Francisco, CA)

86. Loveless Cafe (Nashville, TN)
85. Boss Oyster (Apalachicola, FL) 
84. Busboys & Poets (Washington, D.C.)
83. A Salt & Battery (New York, NY)
82. Ann’s Snack Bar (Atlanta, GA)
81. Matt’s Bar (Minneapolis, MN)
80. Salt Lick Bar-B-Que (Driftwood, TX)
79. El Rey Taqueria (Houston, TX) 
78. Solly’s Grille (Milwaukee, WI)
77. Redbones Barbecue (Somerville, MA)
76. Taco Matamores (Brooklyn, NY)
75. Melt Bar & Grilled (Cleveland, OH)
74. Jacques-Imo’s Café (New Orleans, LA)

73. Pappy’s Smokehouse (St. Louis, MO)
72. Crif Dogs (New York, NY)
71. Back A Yard Caribbean American Grill (Menlo Park, CA)
70. Dinosaur BBQ (Syracuse, NY)
69. Anchor Bar (Buffalo, NY) 
68. Pike Place Chowder (Seattle, WA) 
67. The Oinkster (Eagle Rock, CA) 
66. Zeitgeist (San Francisco, CA) 
I go for the vibe more than I go for the food, but the food certainly doesn't hurt.
65. Frank Pepe Pizzeria Napoletana (New Haven, CT)
64. Dottie’s True Blue Cafe (San Francisco, CA)

63. Red’s Eats (Wicasset, ME)
62. White House Sub Shop (Atlantic City, NJ)
61. Café Du Monde (New Orleans) 
On one of my earliest "grown up" type - Yes, Let's Travel Across the Country Like Adults Even Though We Are Still Quite Young and Have the Hangovers To Prove It (I was 23; it was a couple of months after 9-11) vacations was to New Orleans and we practically bee lined for this place.  We KNEW we had to have their beignets and chicory coffee.  The coffee didn't blow me away but I wasn't much of a coffee drinker at the time, and it didn't stop me from bringing a tin home for my parents (and requesting another be brought back for me last year - I have yet to touch it btw).  The beignets were everything everyone had said they'd be - light, fluffy, sweet, fried perfection.  I must admit though - I really like the addition of a nice dark chocolate dipping sauce as I had with my first ever beignet dessert at the restaurant where I worked.  Yum.
60. Pine State Biscuits (Portland, OR) 
59. Piroshky Piroshky Bakery (Seattle, WA) 
58. Primanti Bros. (Pittsburgh, PA) 
57. Oklahoma Joe’s Barbecue (Kansas City, KS)
56. Rainbow Drive-In (Honolulu, HI)

55. Crisp (Chicago, IL) 
54. Voodoo Doughnut (Portland, OR) 
53. Domilise Sandwich Shop & Bar (New Orleans, LA)
52. Frank’s Diner (Kenosha, WI)  
51. Momofuku Noodle Bar (New York, NY)
50. Billy Goat Tavern (Chicago, IL) 
49. Yuca’s (Los Angeles, CA) 
48.  Café Habana (New York, NY)
47. Triple XXX Family Restaurant (West Lafayette, IN)
46. Memphis Minnie’s (San Francisco, CA) 
http://www.yelp.com/biz/memphis-minnies-san-francisco#hrid:_7ZwVLQlovxbedw98zbKIA/src:self

45. Joe’s Shanghai (Flushing, NY)
44. Hodad’s Burgers (Ocean Beach, CA)
43. Central Grocery Co. (New Orleans, LA) 
42. Taqueria Cancun (San Francisco, CA) 
41. Scoops (Los Angeles, CA)
40. Katz’s Delicatessen (New York, NY)
39. Daikokuya (Los Angeles, CA)
38. Saigon Sandwich (San Francisco, CA)
37. Gus’s World Famous Fried Chicken (Memphis, TN)

36. Pat’s King of Steaks (Philadelphia, PA)
35. Porto’s Bakery & Cafe (Glendale, CA) 
34. Bi-Rite Creamery (San Francisco, CA) 
33. Ramen House Ryowa (Mountain View, CA) 
32. Papalote Mexican Grill (San Francisco, CA)
31. Hash House A Go Go (Las Vegas, NV)
30. Biker Jim’s Gourmet Dogs (Denver, CO)
29. Rosamunde Sausage Grill (San Francisco, CA)  
28. Phil’s BBQ Restaurant (San Diego, CA)
27. Cafe Iberico (Chicago, IL)
26. Smitty’s Market (Lockhart, TX)

25. Falafel’s Drive In (San Jose, CA) 
24. Dan’s Super Subs (Woodland Hills, CA) 
23. Sultan’s Market (Chicago, IL)
22. Pho Xe Tang Tank Noodle (Chicago, IL) 
21. Pommes Frites (New York, NY)
20. Umami Burger (Los Angeles, CA) 

19. The Cheeseboard Pizza Collective (Berkeley, CA) 
18. Ray’s Hell Burgers (Arlington, VA)
17. Wurstküche (Los Angeles, CA) 
16. Pizzeria Bianco (Phoenix, AZ) 
15. Grimaldi’s Pizzeria (Brooklyn, NY)
14. Father’s Office (Santa Monica, CA)
13. El Farolito Taqueria (San Francisco, CA)  
My dad has been taking me here since I was a kid - I'm guessing this is where my idea of Mexican food was born (hence why I don't think Southern California or Texas can hold a candle to SF).
12. Mamoun’s Falafel (New York, NY)
11. Roscoe’s House of Chicken and Waffles (Los Angeles, CA) 
10. Din Tai Fung Dumpling House (Arcadia, CA) 

9. Ben’s Chili Bowl (Washington, D.C.)
8. Shake Shack (New York, NY) 
7. Philippe The Original (Los Angeles, CA) 
6. Burma Superstar (San Francisco, CA) 
5. Kuma’s Corner (Chicago, IL) 
4. Ippudo NY (New York, NY
3. Pink’s Hot Dogs (Los Angeles, CA) 
2. Tartine Bakery & Cafe (San Francisco, CA) 

1. Hot Doug’s (Chicago, IL) 

1 comment:

Poor Tast said...

Hi Jen;

This is rad, we're excited to read about your cult restaurant conquests.

Best,
The folks at Poor Taste Magazine, who own pitchforks but use them to shovel bacon into our mouths.