Monday, November 1, 2010

Harley Farms and the art of making goat cheese


I have a little secret to tell you.  It involves me, and goats, and making cheese, and the future.  Well, that's all I'm going to tell you actually since I don't want anyone stealing my brilliant idea.  But just know, that my future holds goats and cheese making.  I hope.
In that vein, I dragged my poor, darling boyfriend out to a local goat farm on a miserable, rainy day to go on a mucky, smelly tour with pushy goats and delicious cheese.
Harley Farms is the only working dairy left in San Mateo County, and it's run by an Englishwoman named Dee and her lovely staff.  This woman and her husband purchased the farm way back when (some 20 years ago I believe?) and through various turns of fate, she wound up learning from scratch, how to care for goats, and make delicious treats from their milk.  She's got a decent little organization going these days and sells to several local markets, online, in her farm shop, and hosts (almost always immediately sold out) farm dinners.
At some point, I shall have to attempt to corner Dee and learn the ways.  I'm sure she's not busy or anything, and would LOVE to share all of her trade secrets with a future possible competitor - right?
Now that I'm a pro (HA) at cheesemaking, I'm eager to get my hooks into making goat cheese, since that is where my passion clearly lies.
Now I just have to figure out what to do, as the options are a bit overwhelming.

3 comments:

Quinn said...

I know your secret plan and maintain the website for it, so if you want me to keep your secret safe, drop 5 pounds of homemade goat cheese on my doorstep by midnight, or I am going to the press!

Rogue Designs said...

You're so cute.

Quinn said...

Thanks. I try.