Sunday, July 5, 2009

Vegetable Tian

This tastes so amazingly sweet and rich and is a great way to showcase summer produce, though you can easily make it in the fall with fall squash (once everything cooks down, any mealiness in out of season tomatoes will vaporize too). You can also use other veggies, like eggplant and potato. I would've taken a photo of its glory for you, but I forgot it in the oven and dessicated the hell out of the top of it. Luckily, the bottom was still juicy and amazing, so I just stirred it up and served it between courses. DAMN. So much for eating with your eyes first - it looked like ratatouille when I served it, despite all the time I made perfectly spiraling my veggies. I knew I should've taken a photo before I baked it. Luckily, I have a couple of shots of some tians I made with Kelsie Kerr.
This side with a nice piece of fish makes such a yummy and healthy meal it's not even funny.

Vegetable Tian
2 yellow squash, 1/4" slice
2 small variegated green/yellow squash, 1/4" slice or zucchini
2 heirloom tomatoes, 1/4" slice - because my tomatoes were large, I also halved or quartered the slices so they were closer in size to the squash and zukes
1 large red onion, sliced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
4 large basil leaves
1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
1/4 c (or less) olive oil
1/4 c lowfat shredded Italian cheese or Parm (optional)

Put 2 tbsp olive oil in a large pan and heat over med-hi. Add onions and sautee over med until soft and translucent. Add garlic and sautee another minute or so.
Spread this mixture in the bottom of a baking dish (I used a shallow tart dish).
Starting in the center, arrange the tomatoes and zucchini (is it okay if I say "artfully?") in a spiral, keeping them in tight, until the dish is filled. You might have a couple of small pieces of zucchini left, and you can add them to the center or use them for something else.
Chiffonade the basil and chop the rosemary and sprinkle over the top. Drizzle the rest of the olive oil over and add salt and pepper.
Cover with foil and bake at 400 for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake for another 40 minutes. If using, add the cheese and put back into oven for a few minutes until melted. I did not use the cheese and it was still amazing!


** update: Made this again with my new mandolin and it is still freaking amazing - even when you cook it like you're supposed to.

1 comment:

Quinn said...

20 minutes? I thought you were supposed to cook it for an hour and a half.