Monday, July 6, 2009

Squash Blossom Soiree

Last night Quinn and I co-hosted a seasonal dinner featuring all things squash. We invited an insanely attractive group of people (I'm attracted to all of you, I promise; now you can't complain if I try to dry hump you later) who brought yummy things to drink - wines and bubbles and Lambics and yum. They even helped with dishes the little dears. All in all, it was a blast, I just wish Quinn and I weren't stuck in the kitchen for so much of the evening. Next dinner is going to be MUCH simpler.


Fried Squash Blossoms
Check out what the genius mind behind Nermo has to say about his various dipping sauces. We used two fillings, the one in Giada's recipe and this one:
½ c. ricotta cheese
2 tblsp. fresh basil, chopped
5 to 6 sun-dried tomato halves, packed in oil, chopped
2 tblsp. parmigiano reggiano, grated
¼ tsp. coarse salt
½ tsp. pepper
Curried Zucchini Soup
Carbonara Primavera
Tian
Zucchini French Toast
Tomcat Collins - created and mixed by Quinn


Quinn made the most amazing fried squash blossoms. For someone who has never even tried them, let alone made them, they were easily the best I've ever had. His dipping sauces were out of control, though I think the tomato was my fave. I think we could've called it quits after the blossoms, but I had too cook too ya know!
Everything else went over well, but the blossoms were the easy winner. I think the tian came in second for me - it was just so yummy. The Tomcat Collins was fresh and fizzy and a nice clean complement to the rice flavors. Champagne also went perfectly with the blossoms.
No food photos, we were too busy eating. :o( Just photos of "tablescapes" and flowers and the little to-go bags of minimuffiny goodness.

3 comments:

Cynical Siren said...

dude, I need photos to salivate over

Quinn said...

I wish we had taken photos. What were we thinking?!? This was such a great party. I think I need to make more stuffed, fried squash blossoms just to take pictures for Sammy.

Rogue Designs said...

And for me to eat please!!! Don't want them to go to waste.