Saturday, July 4, 2009

Pan-Roasted Steak and Onions

When I first moved out on my own, I had my dad and stepmother over for dinner. I didn't have a dining table mind you, but I was determined to make a delicious dinner for the folks that had been feeding me since I was 13. I had recently gotten my stepmother onto South Beach and wanted to make something that was delicious, but also appropriate for her. This dish got rave reviews from her and my finicky (anti-"diet") father. They make it all the time, and I couldn't for the life of me remember where I had found the recipe. Well, four years later, that's not happening again.

Pan-Roasted Steak and Onions
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound flank steak
1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup fat-free chicken broth
1 medium onion, cut into 1/4-inch thick rings

  1. In a large non-aluminum baking dish, combine the oil, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and garlic. Add the steak; turn to coat. Cover; refrigerate for 30 minutes or overnight, turning once.
  2. Coat a nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Place over medium-high heat. Sprinkle the steak with the pepper and salt. Brown for 2 minutes per side. Add 1/2 cup of the broth; cook, turning once, for 5 to 6 minutes per side (for medium-rare). Remove the steak from the skillet; cover the steak loosely to keep it warm. Reduce the heat to medium. Add the onion slices to the skillet and cook until golden brown, about 4 to 5 minutes per side. Add the remaining broth as needed to prevent the onions from sticking.
  3. Thinly slice the steak across the grain; serve with the onions.
  • This recipe is optimal for Phase 1 or Phase 2 of the South Beach Diet.
  • Copyright© 2003 Waterfront Media, Inc. All rights reserved.
Yeah, and so now I'm realizing that I have this recipe in two separate posts. Um, it's really good, that's why.

No comments: