Monday, April 5, 2010

French Onion Soup

After lunch with a coworker at La Terrasse where I tried to be good and South Beachy by ordering a butter lettuce salad and shrimp with ratatouille (that was probably so chock full of butter it's not even funny), I had a hankering for some of my other French favorites. Sure, I couldn't do steak frittes, but I was positive I could do some healthy damage to some French Onion soup. Sure enough, 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet lent a hand.

Below are my subs to their posted recipe. SUCH a winner.


French Onion Soup
serves 4
2 cans (14 1/2 oz) Low Sodium Beef Broth
2 cans (14 1/2 oz) Low Sodium Chicken Broth
4 cups sliced medium yellow onions
3 cloves minced garlic (jar minced = 1/2 tsp = 1 clove)
2 tbsp olive oil (or a combo of oil and I Can't Believe It's Not Butter or something)
1 1/4 cup cooking sherry
salt & pepper to taste
lowfat mozzarella and/or Provolone
optional (depending on phase): 4 Small slices of bread, cut into rounds (any SBD approved bread is okay)

Saute onions and garlic in oil in large dutch over over low-med heat until onions are translucent/browned. Add beef and chicken broth. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer 5 min. Add sherry, salt and pepper.

From original recipe: Put soup into 4 oven-safe bowls. Place one slice bread on top of soup for each bowl, and then place sliced Monterey Jack cheese over bread to cover.
Put in 375 degree oven for about 25 min or until cheese is bubbling and brown.

I didn't know whether or not my bowls were oven safe, so I put maybe 1/4 cup of mozz in the bottom of the bowl and ladled the hot soup over the top, then topped that with 1 slice of the provolone and nuked it til melty, about 1 minute. But believe you me, once I'm sure my bowls are oven proof, this is going straight into the oven.

I served this with a butter lettuce, pickled beet, goat cheese & toasted almond salad with a Dijon vinaigrette and it was perfectly French. I can't wait to have the leftovers for lunch!

No comments: