Monday, January 11, 2010

PB& J!!

Hell YES peanut butter and jelly pancakes! I had a pb&j souffle dessert in New York that was awesome so I am all over these pancakes. Trying to figure out how I can SB them up. . . I'm thinking SB baking mix like Carbquik; and sugar free jelly/jam oughta do it.

Looks like a couple of our FN faves are into it.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/videos/pb-and-j-pancakes/25066.html
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/sandra-lee/peanut-butter-and-jelly-pancakes-recipe/index.html

Here's Sandra's:

PB&J Pancakes!
1 cup grape jelly
2 teaspoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons water

1 1/2 cups milk
3/4 cup peanut butter
2 1/2 cups baking mix
2 eggs
Canola cooking spray

For Syrup:

To make the syrup, heat the grape jelly in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Dissolve the cornstarch in 2 tablespoons water in a small bowl. When the jelly has become liquid, stir in the cornstarch mixture. Simmer until a syrup consistency is reached, about 5 to 10 minutes.

For Pancakes:

In a small saucepan warm the milk over low heat. Whisk in the peanut butter and combine until completely smooth, then remove from the heat.

In a large mixing bowl add the baking mix. Stir in the eggs and milk mixture and combine until just incorporated.

Preheat the oven to 200 degrees F.

Put a large cast iron or nonstick skillet over medium heat. Spray it with cooking spray. Put 1/4 cup of pancake batter in the center of the skillet and cook until golden brown. About 1 to 2 minutes per side. When bubbles in the center of the pancake have deflated, flip over and cook the other side. Store on a sheet tray in the preheated oven to keep warm while making the rest of the pancakes.

Transfer the pancakes to a large serving platter and serve with warm grape syrup.


I still want to try a PB&J ice cream, but I bet I can do a SB pop for that too. . .

Take one generic vanilla recipe, doctor up with natural, no sugar added PB and sugar free jelly. Easy peasy. Patrick had a great suggestion for turning our fave peanut butter cup SB dessert into pops. I'm sure I can just add a swirl of jelly to that and be in business. I don't have an ice cream maker, so hopefully I can take a page from this previous ice cream entry and go from there.

1 comment:

Anonymous Quinn said...

you can use my ice cream maker if I get a bite.