Thursday, January 14, 2010

Chickpeas

I tried to get into the whole roasted chickpea thing via South Beach, but I was never happy with the texture. They were never crunchy enough, just getting crumbly, brittle and chewy. Not exactly satisfying. However, I trust the good people over at thekitchn.com, so I'm willing to give this another go. Especially since it sounds like so many people were into this snack - maybe I just did it wrong?

15 Chickpea Flavor Combos
(click through for amounts and more details)

• Garlic, Pepper, Rosemary
• Soy Sauce, Sesame Oil, Chili Powder
• Tomato Juice, Curry Powder
• Brown Sugar, Rosemary, Cayenne Pepper
• Cinnamon, Cumin, Chipotle Powder, Smokey Sea Salt, Smoked Paprika
• Corriander, Cumin, Chili Powder, Sweet Paprika, Cinnamon, Allspice, Ginger, Cayenne Pepper
• Lime Juice, Chili Powder, Pepper, Cilantro
• Sage, Roasted Garlic
• Agave, Basil, White Pepper, Cinnamon
• Peanut Flour, Salt
• Maple Syrup, Apple Cider Vinegar, Nutmeg, Ginger, Cinnamon
• Honey, Cinnamon
• Apricot Jam, Wasabi Paste, Horseradish
• Tamari, Rosemary, Lemon Juice, Agave
• Tarragon, Fennel, Roasted Garlic, Honey, Lemon Juice (our personal favorite - simply add a few finely diced tablespoons of each)


03.15.10 update

A drizzle of olive oil, a shit ton of garlic powder, some Kosher salt (perhaps less than I used. . . ) and some dried rosemary made for a tasty treat. But I still can't figure out why some of the peas are crispy fantastic, and some are still a bit chewy. No mind - they're good.

No comments: