Friday, March 27, 2009

Cocktails and Infusions

Thanks to Nirvino spoiling me rotten, I've been hard into the fun, new, tasty, cuisine type cocktails lately. Even more so than when Bourbon and Branch first opened, or when I was hanging out at Rye Bar, or when I first got into the classics - Sidecars, Old Fashioneds and Manhattans. I'm still dreaming about the Rio Grande at 15 Romolo.

Anyway, I was at Sasso in Boston last night, and they're a home infusionist's heaven. Not just cucumber in vodka, mint in some rum, pineapple in whatever - forget standard or simple. These guys are doing stuff like vanilla and pear in bourbon (HELLO), pineapple and cinnamon, star anise, apple pie; all in gins, rums, vodkas, bourbons. . . . I'm going to have to try to sneak back and steal their infusion list and give it to Q so he can start making me some new infusions (they had several that were similar to the ones he makes).

I had a drink called The Huntington - the bartender drizzles honey inside a martini glass, shakes up Maker's Mark and pear juice with ice, and pours it into the glass. It might just replace my Manhattan. It's awesome. I'm thinking of carrying pear juice in my purse with me so SF bars can make it for me. I bet it would be awesome with that vanilla cognac Navan, or maybe I'll just infuse some Maker's with vanilla at home OMG I'msoexcited.

In any case, this doesn't look like the latest menu posted online, but here were some others that I might want to recreate:
Spiced Cherry Martini (stoli vanil, spiced cherry puree)

Chilled Apple Cider (Zacapa 23-year rum, spiced apple cider)

Parisian Martini (stoli raspberry, pineapple, raspberry, champagne)

Raspberry Truffle (stoli raspberry, godiva white chocolate, bailey's, chambord)

Blackberry & Brown Sugar Mojito (bacardi, muddled blackberry & mint, brown sugar, soda)

And also, who knew Safeway had hopped on the infusion train?
  • 1 liter vodka
  • 1 pint blueberries, rinsed and dried
  • 1 cup raspberry flavored liqueur
  • 1 lime, juiced
  • 1 twist lime zest, garnish
To make the blueberry vodka: Pour out approximately 1/3 of the bottle of vodka into a holding container; set aside. Score each blueberry with a small nick and place into vodka bottle. With the vodka previously set aside, fill the vodka bottle until just below the neck. Add just enough raspberry liqueur to top off the bottle. Let sit in a dark place for 2 weeks. 
 
To make martinis: In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, combine 2 parts blueberry vodka, 1 part raspberry liqueur, and a dash of lime juice. Shake vigorously and strain into glass. Garnish with twist of lime zest.


Please post your infusions!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

YUM! We need to do an iron bartender or something.