Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Being the pickle lover I am. . . .

And being on South Beach as I am. . . . 
I decided to make pickled eggs.  Yes, pickled eggs.  They're like a joke.  Like pickled pigs feet.  Like, who eats those?  And ew.  And so on.


And you know what?  They're not awful.  They're even - strangely addictive.  And the onions that you use to flavor the pickling liquid?  They're good too!  I have no idea "how" to eat them or what they should be eaten with; for now we're just grabbing them as snacks.  And as a SB snack, they do a pretty good job - some nice filling protein from the egg (no, I still don't eat the yolk in these ones), the tangy pickle of the vinegar, and the sweet from the cloves and the little bit of Splenda you use to sweeten the brine; they're pretty well rounded and satisfy a few cravings all at once.
I used a couple of cups of every type of vinegar I had since I didn't have enough of any one. . . I believe it was 1/2 cup of distilled white, a cup of rice wine, and a 1/2 cup of apple cider.  Add to that 1/2 cup of water, 2 tbsp of Splenda, 1 tbsp of pickling spices, one sliced onion, and maybe a couple of smashed garlic cloves?  Something like that (maybe without the garlic). You put your dozen hardboiled and peeled eggs in a jar, pour the pickling liquid over top and leave in the fridge.  We gave ours a good 24 hours before sampling.  The pickling liquid firms the eggs up quite a bit, so texturewise, don't freak out when yours go rubbery.

Bottom line, if you like eggs, and you love a good pickle - fear not, the pickled egg.  Give them a try.  Lord knows Ontarians do if you believe the stories of Canadians who will let you know you're not alone in your pickled eggedness.  I guess they're quite a pub treat for our Northern Neighbors. Can't wait til I can try them with beer and see how it goes.

I absolutely adore the idea of COLORED pickled eggs too (in also loving pickled beets this works doubly).  Roll on Easter!  The idea of that color combo gets me all worked up and wanting to put some in my ramen.
And again with the tiny. . . eeee!  Even better!!

No comments: