Saturday, February 6, 2010

Roasted Onion Vinaigrette

My version was close, but definitely based off of this one. I used regular olive oil for the roasting, and walnut oil once I was ready to puree. I did not have any Sherry wine vinegar, so I used red wine vinegar and added a dash of sherry. I also used brown sugar for the roasting.
I used spring mix for the salad and tossed the greens then added some cherry tomatoes and toasted walnuts. I think goat cheese would be an awesome addition, but don't I always. This would also be great for a warm spinach salad with some crumbled bacon. YUM.

Roasted Onion Dressing
  • 2 large onions (about 1 3/4 pounds), peeled, cut into 8 wedges
  • 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons walnut oil or olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1/2 cup canned chicken broth
  • 6 tablespoons Sherry wine vinegar
  • 14 cups mixed greens (such as curly endive, romaine, Belgian endive and radicchio), torn into bite-size pieces
  • 1 cup chopped toasted walnuts (about 4 ounces)
  • 1/2 small red onion, halved, thinly sliced

1 comment:

Quinn said...

Yummy-sounding with that walnut oil. That's a lot of salad!