Monday, February 8, 2010

PB&J cookies

(this photo is so 1980s Tron with that grid design from my cooling rack)
I make these little treats every once in a while because they are SO easy, and they're a perfect, quick SB snack. It really is like eating a tbsp of peanut butter though, so don't get carried away.

Peanut Butter & Jelly Cookies
3/4 c Splenda
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 c creamy (trans fat free) peanut butter
1 tsp baking soda
sugar free jam

Preheat oven to 350. I use a silpat pad on a cookie sheet for these - the jam can run out of the cookie and gets VERY sticky. Silpat is great for not allowing stuff to burn on. If you don't have a Silpat pad, you can use parchment paper.
Cream the Splenda, egg, and vanilla extract together with a hand mixer on low for about three minutes.
Add the peanut butter and baking soda and mix to combine - only about 30 seconds or so.
Using a tablespoon, I scoop out a portion of dough and use it to form 2 balls; this dough is enough for 24 small cookies.
I put them on the cookie sheet, about an inch apart, and then use my thumb to smoosh down the center. I try to reform the edges a bit too if they crack too much; these cookies are super crumbly so anything you can do to help them keep their shape early on is a good idea.
I put some sugar free jam into a plastic baggie and snip off the end so I can pipe the jam into the indentations. I like to use a couple of different kinds of jam, and I can tell you that apricot seems to be the messiest - it bubbles out the most, and the jam seems to disappear into the cookie or something. Strawberry is much better. I think I'll try grape next time too, or blueberry. Yum.

Bake cookies for about 12 minutes or until the bottoms just brown and cool on a wire rack. As I mentioned, they are VERY crumbly, delicate little things. They don't travel well in a baggie (like for lunch), but they're yummy, and rich, and peanut buttery and perfect little bite size treats when you're craving a pb&j but not eating bread.

** note **
I wouldn't recommend going larger on these (you know, like 12 big ones versus 24 little ones) as the texture gets a bit wonky and overly soft.  Just saying.  No one likes a flaccid cookie.

2 comments:

Quinn said...

Want! When can I expect you to swing by my office with a tray of these¿

mrbuckyk said...

Did you really just reference Tron?

J.R.=Just Rad