Sunday, August 9, 2009

"Spanish" rice

My grandfather is of Spanish descent. This rice reminds me of paella. Is it wrong to call it Spanish rice? This was one of the dishes I used to make when I was living in Australia and missing home. Had I ever eaten anything like this at home? No, not really. But to this day, this dish reminds me of my independence, and maturation into an actual self sufficient human being. I made it up, I didn't use a recipe, I didn't ask my Dad, I had no idea what I was doing; but it turned out. My friends started to request that I make it. Holy cow you guys; I was living in another country, on my own, and cooking my own dinner and feeding my friends. Because this is a Jen Original, please don't quote me on it and feel free to taste and modify as you go.

1 can crushed tomatoes in tomato sauce (about a cup and a half)
1 cup chicken broth
1 1/2 cup rice (I'm trying it with brown rice today - wish me luck)
cooked chicken - I used a ready to go roaster chicken that I pick apart and shred with my fingers
cooked sausage - chorizo or some other spicy sausage is perfect for this
scrambled egg
green onions

Bring the tomatoes and broth to a boil, add rice, cover, and turn heat down. Simmer for 30-40 minutes until the rice is done.
Fluff rice and stir in chicken, sausage, scrambled egg and green onions - you be the boss on how much you use. (I'm gonna say two sausages, 1/2 c - 3/4 c chicken, 1-2 eggs, and 1-2 green onions thinly sliced if you MUST have measurements.)
* nom *

2 comments:

Cynical Siren said...

This sounds soooo delicious! Rice is one of my favorite foods, and I can't tell you how exciting new rice recipes are to me. Yes. I do need a life.

Amanda said...

UM OMG WANT FOOD NOW!

Seriously why don't you cook for me more. :(