Sunday, May 24, 2009

Zucchini Bread

While we're talking zukes, who doesn't freak out over a scrumptious slice of zucchini bread? No one I know!!! Well, once you've convinced them to try it if they're all veggie averse. Next experiment might be a recipe for white cupcakes that's been healthified by using zucchini to moisten the batter rather than oil. Even I am skeptical, but I'm willing to give it a shot.

Zucchini Bread
3 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups white sugar
2-3 cups grated zucchini
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F ( 165 degrees C). Grease and flour two 8x4 inch loaf pans.
  2. In a large bowl, beat eggs until light and frothy. Mix in oil and sugar. Stir in zucchini and vanilla. Combine flour, cinnamon, soda, baking powder, salt and nuts; stir into the egg mixture. Divide batter into prepared pans.
  3. Bake for 60 to 70 minutes, or until done.
To healthify this one or just jazz it up, you can do the old applesauce (oooh, or cinnamon applesauce!) in place of oil trick (I'd only do half though - if you try to go with NO oil you won't be that pleased with your results), and try adding other favorite dried fruits or coconut, additional spices like nutmeg, and even chocolate chips. Mention of streusel topping ran rampant on the review boards, but since I'd be trying to go healthy with this, I'd personally skip it.
Many of the reviewers on Allrecipes suggest using more zucchini than is originally called for - up to as much as a full extra cup in fact.
A vegan chimed in as well, suggesting substituting 3/4 cup of applesauce for the 3 eggs and using whole wheat pastry flour instead of white flour, and then just using 3/4 cup of oil because of all the applesauce (she used safflower). I am certainly going to go with the whole wheat flour.
So many options!!!

07/05/09 UPDATE *******
2 c wheat flour
1 c AP flour
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp allspice
1 1/2 c sugar
3/4 c apple sauce
1/4 c Canola oil
1 c toasted walnuts & pecans, chopped

* half of this batter went into a loaf pan

With the remaining batter, I halved that again and to one portion added 1 tsp orange juice (freshly squeezed - I wanted zest too but don't have a freaking zester, can you believe that crap?); to the other portion I added one quarter of a Granny Smith apple, chopped small. I put these into mini muffin tins and topped the orange side with vanilla sugar, and the apple side with cinnamon sugar. And crossed my fingers because I know baking is finicky and I completely screwed with the recipe above. . . .
The minis were done in 20 and I let the loaf cook for another 40.
The orange version wasn't orangey enough for me, so I made up a quick glaze using freshly squeezed orange juice that I cooked down with a pinch of vanilla sugar, and then, because I have NO icing sugar in my house, but luckily some Pillsbury vanilla frosting, a good glop of that until I had a nice smooth and thin orange glaze. I drizzled this over the top and called it done.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I love love love zucchini bread. Please deliver to my house k thnx.

Quinn said...

I loves me some zucchini bread. Please ignore Amanda and bring it all to me.