Sunday, May 24, 2009

Sloppeh joe, slop, sloppeh joe


No, this is not my first sloppy joe entry. Seems I'm obsessed. In any case, I got the fixins for the most part (except the Sriracha which I really wanted to include, boo, though I guess I could always go to one of those "grocery store" things I've been hearing so much about lately) and I need to cook this meat up asap. Now who wants to come over for dinner tomorrow?

Here's what I'm thinking of pulling together:

2 lbs ground beef (lean thanks)
1 diced onion (but I may not use all of it depending on how big it is)
1 clove garlic minced
1/4 cup ketchup
1 small can tomato sauce
1/2 can tomato paste
1 tbsp vinegar
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 -2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
celery powder or celery salt
salt and pepper to taste

(If I had Sriracha I'd hold off on the garlic, tomato paste and vinegar until after I had added the Sriracha and then tweak from there, maybe going with garlic powder at that point rather than fresh.)

I'll start the onions and garlic (mmmm, I can almost smell it) and once soft I'll add the meat, cook til almost all the pink is gone and drain off the fat. Then I'll stir in all the rest of the ingredients, and let it simmer, stirring frequently til it's heated through.
Served on buns or in pita pockets with shredded cheese and crispy sweet potato fries on the side . . . yum. Just like Lunch Lady used to make.

** update **
So I had no celery anything, and threw in 1/4 tsp of Italian Seasoning and maybe 1/8 tsp of red pepper flakes, just because. I only used about 1 1/2 tsp of brown sugar and didn't need to add any salt or pepper. Alas, while tangy and "fine" it was completely flat and one dimensional. I think it really needs the veg aspect of green peppers and/or celery. Next go round I'll do the meat and veggies, and I'll work on the sauce separately to give it some time to meld and deepen, and then I'll mix it in to the meat and veg. Perhaps some ancho chili powder to add a smoky layer with the spice instead of the flakes. It won't be an easy clean up one pot meal anymore, but hey.
I'm also thinking of Mexican variations with some corn and black beans mixed in with more Mexican seasonings rather than Italian; maybe even a kick of cocoa powder.

** Delicious coworker update **
Thanks Denise!!!

1 pound ground chuck (or whatever kind of ground beef you use)
2 tbl oil to brown the meat
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup diced celery
1/4 of a large green bell pepper, chopped fine
1 clove minced garlic
1/4 cup chili sauce
1/4 cup catsup
1 cup water
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
1 tbl Worcestershire sauce
2 tbl white vinegar
2 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tbl parsley, minced

Brown meat, onions and celery. Spoon off the leftover and grease.
Combine all of the rest except parsley.
Mix well and pour over the meat.

Simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

1 comment:

Quinn said...

Yummeh. Oh, and I got a shout out! Woohoo