Friday, February 6, 2009

Sloppy Joes

Sloppy Joes always make me think of my best friend's grandmother, Grandma B. I think I probably only had one at her house, but maybe it was my first. They are always somehow tied to her in my mind. These, and cracker lunches of course, but that's for another entry.
After seeing Robin Miller make them yesterday, it got me thinking about what might make the best possible recipe. I know I'll have to play with it a bit until I get it right, but so far, this seems to be pretty standard.

SLOPPY JOES
lean ground _____ (beef, turkey, whatev)
ketchup
mustard
garlic
onion
brown sugar?
salt
Worcestershire sauce?
green pepper?
hamburger buns

I saw another recipe that featured chicken gumbo soup as part of the base, but I don't know how I feel about that. I'm thinking a little barbecue sauce might be good in place of some of the ketchup and brown sugar, but I have a feeling this is going to be one of those recipes that I make with whatever I have on hand at the time.

I'm guessing I'll saute the garlic and onions a bit (unless I'm using the powdered stuff), then add the meat and brown it. Then I'll add the other stuff and let it simmer for a bit so the flavors meld. I remember serving it with shredded cheese, and maybe chopped onions? Hmmm. I'll play with making it as South Beach friendly as possible too.
Thoughts? Secret family recipes that I just have to try?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now, when I think of sloppy Joes, I will think of YOU dressed up like an old lady with a hairnet.