Monday, August 16, 2010

Chicken Enchiladas Suizas

When I was oh, 18 or so, my dad got me my first REAL cook book.  The gold standard for "just starting out cooks" - The Better Homes & Gardens, red and white checkered tome.  I have no idea which edition it is, but it definitely helped me develop my love of cooking - especially with recipes like their Chicken Enchiladas Suizas.  I don't even know if that's what they call the recipe in the book, but that's what it is.  I loved this recipe so much, that at some point, I removed the page from the handy dandy three ring binder, and promptly lost it.  I made it so often, that for a while it didn't matter that the recipe was gone.  That was years ago unfortunately, and I have been missing it ever since.  Today, oh frabjous day, I found the recipe online.  I have searched high and low for this one - coming up upon many false contenders that CLAIMED to be the BH&G enchiladas but WERE NOT (though I don't remember my version using the coriander - I'll give it a whirl).  Hallelujah.  Guera-ladas will be back on the menu once again!!

Guera-ladas
8 corn tortillas
1/2 cup Chopped onion
4 cloves Garlic, minced
1 teaspoon Ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon Pepper
2 tablespoons Margarine or butter
3 tablespoons All-purpose flour
1 8-ounce Carton sour cream
2 cups Chicken broth
1 4-ounce can diced
Green chili peppers, drained
1 cup Shredded Monterey Jack
Cheese
2 cups Chopped cooked chicken or
Turkey
Sliced pitted ripe olives (optional)
Chopped tomatoes (optional)
Sliced green onions
 
Wrap tortillas in foil. Heat in a 350° oven for 10 to 15 minutes or till softened.
For sauce, in a saucepan cook onion, garlic, coriander, and pepper in margarine or butter till onion is tender. Stir flour into sour cream; add to onion mixture. Stir in broth and chili peppers all at once. Cook and stir till thickened and bubbly Remove from heat; stir in 1/2 cup of the cheese.
For filling, stir 1/2 cup of the sauce into chicken. Place about 1/4 cup filling atop each tortilla; roll up. Arrange rolls, seam side down, in a lightly greased 12x71/2x2-inch baking dish. Top with remaining sauce. Bake, covered, in a 350° oven about 35 minutes or till heated through.
Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, about 5 minutes more or till cheese melts. If desired, sprinkle with olives, tomatoes, and green onions. Let stand 10 minutes. Makes 4 servings.

1 comment:

Quinn said...

OK, so when are we cooking a Mexican feast? I'll bring the mezcal!