Monday, April 18, 2011

Cocktail Cherries

I'm with the folks at The Spir.It - screw those maraschinos.  I like the little boozy cherries in my drinks!  Hello future Christmas gifts. . . .

The author notes that while she uses Wild Turkey American Honey liqueur (which I have never even heard of, let alone have stocked in my bar), the rest of us can use a mixture of 3 parts bourbon to 1 part honey.  That, I can do.
She also offers up the option of using sour cherries for a more traditional cocktail cherry, even though she went the Bing route.  Rainiers are up for grabs too, though I doubt they'll be as pretty.

Honey Bourbon Cocktail Cherries
3/4 cup bourbon + 1/4 cup honey
1 pint Bing cherries, stemmed and pitted

Simmer liqueur in a small pan for five minutes, then add the cherries and reduce heat. Cook for an additional five minutes then remove from heat and let it cool. Store in a glass jar in the refrigerator for two days before use. 
 
I'm going to try jarring these bad boys.  I imagine they'll last quite well that way, what with the sealing of the jars AND the booze.  I think I'll add the cherries and liqueur to the jars and then seal them straight away (versus cooking them on the stove top and letting them cool before jarring), otherwise I think they'll disintegrate.  

1 comment:

Quinn said...

Kickin' Chicken American Honey is gross! You are better off with good bourbon and real honey. I also like dried bings soaked in Maraschino liqueur, which is nothing like the "maraschino cherries" you see on the grocery store shelf. Why haven't I posted about this?